Mayor Michael Gillette was joined today by other members of City Council and City staff as well as representatives from the Salvation Army, Gleaning for the World and the Historic Virginia Chapter of the American Red Cross to encourage area residents to join in efforts to being relief to those individuals in Virginia and other parts of the country who were impacted by Hurricane Sandy.
“We were very lucky that we were not severely impacted by Hurricane Sandy. Unfortunately, millions of our fellow citizens in Virginia and throughout the eastern part of this country were devastated,” said Mayor Gillette. “When we were affected by the derecho earlier this year, we received an outpouring of volunteers and organizations reaching out to assist us. As a caring community, it is now our time to do the same. I encourage everyone to consider making a donation of some type, either to one or all of the three agencies that were with us today or to another organization of your choice.”
Gillette also thanked former mayor and current Restoration Officer with the Lynchburg Fire Department, Jim Whitaker for conceiving the idea and pulling everyone together for the day’s press conference.
Residents are asked to please limit their donations to the items each agency is equipped to accept. Product donations must be new and unused.
A list of preferred donations is attached.
Items may be taken to any fire station. Only new, unused items can be accepted.
Historic Virginia Chapter of the American Red Cross
- Financial donations can be made at www.RedCross.org or by mailing a check to Red Cross Disaster Relief, 1007 Sheffield Drive, Lynchburg, VA 24502.
- Area blood drives can be found at www.redcrossblood.org, enter your zip code for a list of drives in our area.
- Monetary donations are the most critical need as supplies and personnel are mobilized. Donors are encouraged to give at one of the Fire Stations, online at www.SalvationArmyUSA.org, or by calling 1-800-SAL-ARMY (1-800-725-2769).
- Donors may also text the word ”STORM “to 80888 to make a $10 donation through their mobile phone.
- Those interested in volunteering can respond to www.disaster.salvationarmyusa.org.
Gleaning for the World
- Financial donations are greatly needed:
- Drop off contributions at collection site.
- Make credit card donation at www.gftw.org
- Mail checks to: Gleaning For the World, P.O. Box 645, Concord, VA 24538
- Product Donations:
Plastic Food Containers
Pet Food & Supplies
Dry or Canned Food
- Continued -
Gleaning For the World
- Product Donations (Continued)