Governor: No apparent link between NYC blast, overseas terror

Crime scene investigators work at the scene of Saturday's explosion in Manhattan's Chelsea neighborhood, in New York, Sunday, Sept. 18, 2016. (AP Photo/Craig Ruttle)

(AP Photo)

NEW YORK (AP) – Gov. Andrew Cuomo said Sunday that an explosion that rocked a crowded Manhattan neighborhood, injuring 29 people, doesn’t appear to be linked to international terrorism, and he vowed that authorities would find and prosecute whoever was responsible. He noted that 1,000 additional law enforcement officers were being deployed after the Saturday night blast in Chelsea, a primarily residential neighborhood on Manhattan’s west side that’s known for its art galleries and large gay population. He encouraged New Yorkers to go about their day as usual. “We’re not going to let them win,” Cuomo said at the scene. “We’re not going to let them instill fear.” The Democratic governor said the preliminary investigation didn’t appear to show a link to international terror, and he noted that no terror group had taken credit for it.

Read the rest of this story »

Share on LinkedInShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

Mike Tilley Sports Report

mikeheadshotwebpageMike Tilley, TV Play-by-Play Announcer for Liberty University, talks Redskins Monday night woes and his full weekend sports preview on The Morning Line.  

Play/Download News Clip

Share on LinkedInShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

Kroger brings its on-line shopping service to Lynchburg

KrogerKroger has brought its on-line shopping service to Lynchburg. The grocery chain unveiled its “Clicklist” today at the Timberlake Road store. It lets you order on line and pick up your order, delivered to your car, at the time you choose. George Anderson is Kroger’s E-Commerce Manager for this region, and he tells Reporter Andre Whitehead the Timberlake store was a good place to start here in Lynchburg because it was expanded in 2013.

Play/Download News Clip

Anderson says the Clicklist service answers a growing customer demand for on-line shopping, and in return, it helps develop more Kroger customer loyalty.

Click here for Kroger’s Clicklist web site

Share on LinkedInShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

Dr. Bob Denton talks politics on The Morning Line

bob-denton-2Political analyst Dr. Bob Denton weighs in on the latest election news this morning with Larry and Janet on The Morning Line

Play/Download News Clip

Share on LinkedInShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

Facility Barriers Questioned After Prisoner Escapes

James Pavlis

James Pavlis

After three days of eluding the police, James Pavlis was captured in the late afternoon on Wednesday. But many are wondering how it was he escaped in the first place. WLNI’s Janet Rose has more

Play/Download News Clip

Share on LinkedInShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

UVA to allow students to apply for grants from $2.2B fund

UVA-LogoCHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. (AP) _ The University of Virginia’s board of visitors says it will consider student-submitted proposals for how to use money from a $2.2 billion investment fund that has been the subject of recent criticism.  The Richmond Times-Dispatch  reports Vice Rector Frank Conner made the announcement Wednesday, responding to a letter of concern from the Student Council that students were not given a voice in the establishment of the Strategic Investment Fund. Rector William H. Goodwin says the board will begin reviewing grant proposals on Friday. Former rector Helen Dragas characterized the fund as a “slush fund” in a July column in The Washington Post. UVA says the fund is not connected to tuition or public funding. State auditors told lawmakers last month that there was nothing improper about the fund.

Share on LinkedInShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

Virginia shields price of secret supplier’s execution drugs

STATE-NEWSRICHMOND, Va. (AP) _ Virginia officials have signed a contract with a vendor to obtain execution drugs, but are shielding the name of the vendor and the price of the drugs. A new state law passed last legislative session allows officials to keep secret the suppliers of drugs used to carry out executions. A memorandum of agreement obtained by the Richmond Times-Dispatch  through a Freedom of Information Act request redacts not only the identity of the supplier, but the date the contract was signed and the amount the state will pay for each batch of drugs. The agreement may be good for up to seven years, but can be ended by the vendor at any time. There are seven men currently on death in Virginia, but no execution dates have been set.

Share on LinkedInShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

UPDATE: Jail escapee is recaptured

James Pavlis

James Pavlis

UPDATED 6:45 pm  Wednesday: Police say James Pavlis has been captured and is once again in custody.  Officials say Pavlis was found near Concord Turnpike.

UPDATED 4:05 pm from Lynchburg Police: Based on additional information we want to alert the public that Pavlis has been violent in the past and should be considered dangerous. We ask that the public remain vigilant and aware of their surroundings until this subject is located.

PREVIOUSLY: On 9/12/16 at approximately 06:54 am Lynchburg Police Officers responded to Blue Ridge Regional Jail for a report of an escaped inmate.  Blue Ridge Regional Jail authorities report that the inmate escaped under a fence. The inmate has been identified as James Richard Pavlis.  He is a 22 year old white male with brown hair and hazel eyes, approximately 5’10” and 178lbs.  He has a prominent tattoo on his neck that says LOYALTY.  His direction of travel is unknown at this time but he is believed to be on foot in the downtown area and is believed to be wearing a white t-shirt with blue shorts and black boots. Lynchburg Police are actively searching for the subject and ask that anyone that sees a subject matching this description to contact the Lynchburg Police Department.

Share on LinkedInShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

VP candidate Pence to address Liberty students

Mike Pence

Mike Pence

From Liberty University —  Liberty President Jerry Falwell has announced that Indiana Gov. Mike Pence, currently on the Republican ticket for vice president of the United States, will speak in Convocation on Wednesday, Oct. 12. Falwell told students the news at Convocation on Wednesday. He said Pence reached out to him after reading an editorial that Falwell wrote for The Washington Post. Pence was elected the 50th Governor of the State of Indiana in 2012 and inaugurated January 14, 2013. “I think students will very much enjoy hearing from Gov. Pence,” Falwell told the Lynchburg News & Advance. “I think he’ll be very well received at Liberty. I don’t think Donald Trump could have chosen a better running mate than the governor.” Liberty’s Convocation stage has become a popular stop for those seeking political office. In this election cycle, guests have included Ted Cruz, Bernie Sanders, Ben Carson, and Donald Trump, who spoke in January before becoming the Republican presidential nominee. Jeb Bush was the 2015 Commencement speaker. As an institution, Liberty does not endorse anyone for political office and invites all presidential candidates to speak in Convocation.

Share on LinkedInShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook

ACC to relocate athletic championships from North Carolina

Atlantic Coast ConferenceCLEMSON, S.C. (AP) _ The Atlantic Coast Conference has followed the NCAA’s lead and is removing all its athletic championships from North Carolina over a state law that some say can lead to discrimination against LGBT people. The ACC Council of Presidents voted Wednesday to relocate the league’s championships until North Carolina repeals the law. The decision includes all championship this academic school year, which means relocating the ACC football title game that was scheduled to be played in Charlotte in December. On Monday, the NCAA said it was relocating seven of its championships scheduled to be played in the state, including the men’s basketball first- and second-round matchups scheduled for next March in Greensboro, North Carolina. ACC Commissioner John Swofford said after the NCAA’s decision that his league would review its next steps.

Share on LinkedInShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on Facebook
Test