In 1910 the City of Lynchburg received two Civil War cannons and put them in Miller Park as part of a Civil War monument. By the late 1980’s, the wooden carriages and wheels collapsed and the cannon parts were placed in storage. One cannon was eventually restored and is on display in the Lynchburg Museum. The other remains in storage and a group of citizens and city staff are working to restore it and place it in Fort Early. The Lynchburg Historical Foundation (LHF) is leading an effort to raise funds for the restoration in partnership with the Parks and Recreation Department, the Lynchburg Museum Foundation, and the Fort Hill Woman’s Club. A goal of $16,000 has been set which would include shipping and an interpretive plaque. Approximately $10,000 has been pledged to the project. Now the city is reaching out to the community to help raise the rest of the money. You can send donations to the Lynchburg Historical Foundation at PO Box 248, Lynchburg, VA 24505.