F & L Market has Chesapeake Oyster for $12.99. Use them to make this Oyster Stew. A Holiday must have in the south!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 6 cups whole milk or half and half
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 16 ounces fresh raw oysters, undrained
- Heat butter over medium heat in heavy bottom 3-quart saucepan. Add diced onion and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Grate in garlic (or mince), continue to saute for another 1-2 minutes, being watchful to not burn garlic. Add red pepper, paprika, salt, black pepper, stir to toast about 1 minute.
- Drain oysters and reserve liquid (oyster liqueur).
- Reduce heat to low, add milk, parsley and oyster liqueur.
- Cook over low heat until mixture is hot and beginning to steam, and bubbles just start to appear around the edge. Do NOT allow to come to a boil. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add oysters and continue to cook over low heat until oysters begin to curl on edges.