SUNSET FARMS SAUSAGE SKILLET
Had the pleasure of meeting Greg from Sunset Farms at F&L Market. They are celebrating 100 years of sausage making and one taste will tell you why they have been around so long! Use your flavor of choice to make this skillet your own!
- 1 1/4 c. white rice
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 (12 ounce) package smoked sausage
- 1/2 red bell pepper, sliced
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 small white onion, quartered and sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp. kosher sea salt
- 1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
- 5 tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 1/4 c. low-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 tbsp. chopped parsley
- In a small saucepan, cook rice according to the package’s directions.
- Place a large cast iron skillet over medium-high. Once the skillet is hot, add the oil. After the oil shimmers, add the sausage and cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the peppers and onion, saute for 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic, salt, and pepper, cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Remove from the pan and set aside with the sausage.
- Add the tomato paste and about 3/4 cup of chicken broth, whisk to combine. Allow the mixture to simmer for 1 minute, then add the paprika and cayenne.
- Stir in the cooked rice, sausage, remaining chicken broth, pepper, and onions until combined. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.