SWEET POTATO BURRITO BOWLS
F&L Market has North Carolina sweet potatoes for .49 a pound. Use them to make this healthy, hearty main dish skillet.
- 1 pound sweet potatoes, heaping 2 cups
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, separated
- 1 cup chopped sweet bell peppers (I used miniature assorted red, yellow, and orange)
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) petite diced tomatoes
- 1 can (15.25 ounces) black beans
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 cups vegetable or chicken broth, vegetable for a vegetarian meal
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, optional
- 1 and 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Sour cream, for topping
- Optional: chopped cilantro, chopped avocado or guacamole, 1 small roma tomato, chopped
- Peel the sweet potatoes and chop into small pieces (refer to picture for size).
- In a large skillet over medium high heat, combine two tablespoons olive oil with all of the sweet potatoes. If you don’t like any amount of crunch to your sweet peppers, add them after the sweet potatoes have been cooking for about 6-8 minutes. (I added mine in with the black beans, corn, and spices)
- Saute the sweet potatoes for 8-10 minutes or until pretty tender. Add in remaining tablespoon of olive oil and the rice.
- Cook, stirring constantly for 2-3 minutes at medium heat.
- Add in the undrained diced tomatoes, drained & rinsed black beans, frozen corn, minced garlic, chili powder, cumin, and vegetable or chicken broth. Give everything a really good stir, bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a little bit above low, but not quite to medium heat.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and allow to simmer for 10-15 minutes or until all the liquid is drained and the rice is cooked through.
- Remove the lid and stir in the lime juice. Top with the shredded cheddar cheese and then cover the pot with the skillet for 1-2 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
- Top your burrito bowls with sour cream (I used fat free), a chopped tomato, chopped cilantro, chopped avocado or guacamole, or any other desired toppings.
- Enjoy immediately.