LITE SUMMER LETTUCE WRAPS
F&L Market has 93% lean ground Perdue chicken for $2.99 a pound. It’s the perfect vessel for these delicious Summer Lettuce Wraps.
- 3 tsp olive oil, divided
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey or chicken
- 4 – 5 Tbsp hoisin sauce, to taste (I used Lee Kum Kee)
- 1 Tbsp soy sauce, (low-sodium or regular)
- 2 tsp sriracha (optional)
- 1 Tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 Tbsp minced fresh garlic (3 cloves)
- 1 Tbsp peeled and minced fresh ginger
- 2/3 cup sliced green onions, white and light green portion, plus more green portion for serving
- 1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded (1/2 cup)
- 1 (8 oz) can water chestnuts, drained and chopped small
- 1 large head Bibb lettuce or iceberg lettuce
- Heat 1 1/2 tsp oil in a 12-inch non-stick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add turkey or chicken in large crumbles then let cook until slightly browned on bottom, about 3 minutes, then break up and continue to cook until it’s fully cooked through, about 3 minutes longer.
- Meanwhile while turkey is cooking in a mixing bowl whisk together hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sriracha, rice vinegar, sesame oil and honey, set aside.
- Drain of excess liquid from the chicken or turkey (if there is any) then push to one far side of pan and pull that side of pan off heat.
- Heat remaining 1 1/2 tsp oil in now empty side of skillet.
- Add green onions and carrots and saute 1 1/2 minutes. Add in garlic and ginger and saute 30 seconds longer.
- Pour in sauce and water chestnuts then cook and toss 30 seconds longer.
- Serve warm in lettuce leaves, garnished with sliced green onions.