SAUSAGE AND PEPPER SKILLET
F&L Market has Gunnoe’s sausage for $2.99 a pound. Use it to make this fast and tasty skillet supper!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sausage
- 2 cups sweet Vidalia or yellow onion, peeled and diced small (about 1 large onion)
- 2/3 cup red bell pepper, seeded and diced small
- 2/3 cup yellow bell pepper, seeded and diced small
- 3 to 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely minced
- 2 cups minute or instant rice
- 2 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley leaves, finely minced (stems discarded)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, or to taste
- To a large skillet, add the olive oil, sausage, onion, and sauté for about 8 minutes over medium-high heat, or until sausage is cooked through and onions are lightly golden browned. Stir and flip intermittently.
- Add the peppers, garlic, and sauté for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir intermittently.
- Turn the heat to medium-low, and add the rice, chicken broth, and cook covered for about 5 to 10 minutes or until rice is tender, done, and all liquid has been absorbed.
- Turn off the heat, add the parsley, and stir to combine.
- Taste dish and add salt and pepper, to taste. Serve immediately. Dish will keep airtight in the fridge for 5 days. Reheat gently as necessary.