PEPPER JACK STUFFED PEPPERS
F&L Market has ground beef for $2.39 a pound. This is a delicious way to prepare it. I like to use a rainbow of pepper colors for this meal.
- 6 whole bell peppers (any color)
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 2 cups rice, par cooked
- 1 (15 ounce can) diced tomato, drained
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (more or less to taste)
- 8 ounces pepper jack cheese, grated
- To prepare the peppers, slice the tops off and remove any veins or seeds inside. Do not discard tops as you will use any remaining pepper attached to the stem.
- Add peppers to a casserole dish, fill with about 1/2 inch of water, cover with aluminum foil, and bake in a 425o F oven for 20 minutes in order to steam, or parbake, the peppers.
- While the peppers are steaming, cook the ground beef, onion, garlic, and any remaining pepper from the stem piece (diced) in a large saute pan over medium high heat until the meat is crumbly, about 10-15 minutes. Add the diced zucchini and allow to cook for 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat and add the par cooked rice (frozen microwavable rice works best) and tomatoes. Add salt to taste.
- Once peppers are done, remove from oven, discard water, and return peppers to casserole dish. Fill each pepper cavity with the ground beef and rice filling until all of the peppers have been evenly filled. Top with pepper jack cheese. If making ahead, store in airtight container in the refrigerator until ready to heat and serve.
- Return peppers to oven and cook until heated through and cheese has melted. This should only take a few minutes.