GREEK CHICKEN LEMON ORZO SOUP
F&L Market has a 10 lb. pack of chicken leg quarters for $5.69. Use them to create this delicious Greek-inspired dish.
- 4 chicken leg quarters or you may use boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 small sweet onion
- 3/4 cup orzo
- 3 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped
- 2 tbsp chicken bouillon granules
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 medium lemon juiced
- 3 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh dill
- To a large, 5-quart pot, add chicken, sweet onion, carrots, celery and orzo. Fill the pot with clean water and bring to a boil. Add the bouillon granules and cook on medium heat for about 30 minutes, until chicken and vegetables are cooked through.
- Reduce the heat to low. With the help of a fork, remove the chicken out of the soup and leave it in a cold place for 5 minutes to cool down. Meanwhile, prepare an egg yolk mixture.
- In a medium sized bowl, beat the lemon juice with egg yolks. Set aside.
- Shred the cooled chicken. Add the chicken and any accumulated juices from the chicken plate back to the pot.
- Ladle 1 cup of hot broth into the bowl with the egg yolk mixture and stir a little. Add 1 more cup of hot broth to the bowl and stir again.
- Pour the egg yolk mixture back into the pot. Stir well to blend. Taste for seasoning.
- Add the dill, stir it again, cover with a lid and let the soup rest for 10 minutes before serving.