IRISH POTATO CHOWDER
F&L Market has all potatoes $3.99 for a 10 lb bag. This is a delicious Irish Potato Chowder to warm you up on a windy day!
- 7 tablespoons butter, divided
- 7 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2/3 cup diced carrots
- 2/3 cup diced celery
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon freeze-dried chives
- 4 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 5 cups peeled. diced potatoes
- 3 cups milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/8 – 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Salt and ground white pepper, to taste
- Optional: fresh herbs for garnish; I used copped chives
- Make a roux by melting 5 1/2 tablespoons of butter in a small saucepan.
- Stir in flour until well blended.
- Cook over low heat, stirring often, for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set roux aside.
- Melt remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons butter in a soup or stock pot.
- Add diced onions, carrots, celery, basil, parsley and chives.
- Cook diced vegetables and herbs about ten minutes.
- Add stock and potatoes.
- Cover and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in milk.
- Return to simmer and whisk in roux until liquid is thickened and smooth.
- Simmer ten more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in sour cream and hot pepper sauce.
- Season to taste with salt and white ground pepper.
- Optional: garnish with fresh chopped herbs, like chives.