GREEK STEAK PITA
F&L Market has beef tenderloin for $5.99 a pound. Hold a little bit of this beauty back to prepare these delicious Greek Steak Pitas. Full of flavor!
- 1 to 1 1/2 lb beef tenderloin or steak of choice, cut in thin strips
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon Cavender’s All Purpose Greek Seasoning 📷
- 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 2 large onions, sliced
- 8 fresh baby portabella mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil, divided
- For the onions-Heat a skillet on medium low heat. Add the butter and 2 tablespoons of oil. Once the butter has melted, throw in the onions. Stir frequently. The onions should cook down for at least 30 mins. you may need to adjust the temperature if the onions begin to brown to soon. The key is low and slow.
- While the onions cook, move onto preparing and cooking the steak.
- For the steak-Combine sliced steak, oregano, Cavender, salt and pepper in a Ziploc bag. Mix until the seasoning has evenly coated the steak. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a cast iron skillet over medium high heat. Sear sliced steak in batches for 1 to 2 minutes per side depending on how done you like your steak. Do not over crowd the pan. Add 1 tablespoon of oil if the pan gets to dry. Once the steak is cooked, throw your mushrooms in the pan and saute until tender.
- Assemble the pitas with steak, onions and mushrooms.