This is my favorite Irish Dish. F&L Market has fresh green cabbage for .49 a pound and potatoes are $3.99 for a 10 lb bag. Smithfield Bacon is $3.49 for 12 oz. package.
- 8 medium Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and halved
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter (Kerry Gold)
- ½ cup milk or light cream
- 1 small green cabbage, cored and sliced thin
- 1 -2 cups of kale ribs, removed and sliced thin
- 3 leeks whites finely chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add 1 teaspoon salt and the potatoes. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain in a colander then return to the pot. Mash the potatoes until smooth then add the milk and 6 tablespoons of the butter. Salt and pepper the mixture and set aside to keep warm while preparing the cabbage.
- Add the sliced kale and cabbage to a pot of boiling, salted water. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until soft. Drain well. You may also sauté the cabbage and kale in a large skillet with a little olive oil until wilted, if preferred.
- Mix the potato and cabbage together and stir in the leeks. Season with salt and pepper.
- To serve, scoop potatoes into a serving bowl and make a well in the center. Add the remaining butter and garnish with a few pieces of chopped leeks.