BEEF PEPPER STEAK
F&L Market has beef bottom round steaks for $3.69 a pound. Use it to make this easy, delicious pepper steak recipe.
- 1.5 lbs. bottom round steak
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Vegetable oil
- 1 red pepper
- 1 green pepper
- 1 large onion
- 5-6 cloves garlic, minced
Sauce (see note):
- 1 packet brown gravy mix
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger (or more to taste)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup cold water
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- Slice steak into 1/4-inch strips then toss with soy sauce and black pepper. You can cook this strait away or let it marinate up to 8 hours. If you’re planning to serve this with rice, get your rice cooking before you start cooking the steak as it cooks pretty quickly!
- Chop peppers and onion into 1-inch pieces; set aside. Add just enough vegetable oil to a large skillet to coat the bottom. Heat over high heat until very hot.
- Add one layer of beef strips to skillet then saute until nicely browned. Remove from skillet then repeat this process until all beef is browned and set aside.
- Coat the bottom of the pan with a little more vegetable oil, reduce heat to medium-high then add chopped peppers and onions then sauté for 3-4 minutes.
- Add minced garlic and continue cooking for 2 minutes.
- Combine sauce ingredients and mix well.
- Add sauce and browned beef strips (with any rendered juices) to skillet.
- Cook and stir until sauce is thickened and peppers are tender.
Note: If you’d like enough sauce to make a gravy for the rice, double the sauce ingredients.