- 2 cups homemade tomato sauce
- 2 pounds or 1 kg ground beef
- 2 cloves garlic , minced
- Freshly ground pepper and salt to taste
Ingredients for the Spinach Filling:
- 1 large container cottage cheese
- 1 box frozen chopped spinach, thawed and strained well
- 4 eggs
- Freshly ground pepper
Ingredients for Putting it all Together:
- 1/2 cup homemade tomato sauce
- Meat filling
- Cheese filling
- Mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 16 lasagna noodles, cooked
Instructions for Meat Filling:
- Brown the beef with the garlic; stir to break into small pieces of meat.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add 4 cups cooked beef to 2 cups homemade tomato sauce; combine well.
- Check again for seasoning.
For Spinach Filling:
- Wring frozen spinach inside a thick tea towel until all liquid is dispelled.
- Combine all ingredients.
Putting the Traditional Canadian Lasagna Together:
- Spread 1/2 cup Homemade Tomato Sauce onto the bottom of the pan (it will be sparse).
- Place 4 lasagna noodles on top of the sauce (these will fit perfectly in the 11 x 13 inch casserole pan).
- Spread 1 cup of meat sauce very sparsely over the noodles; cover with 4 lasagna noodles.
- Spread 1 1/4 cups of meat sauce very sparsely over the second layer of noodles; cover this layer of meat sauce with mozzarella cheese slices.
- Cover the cheese slices with 4 lasagna noodles (at this point, you will need a couple of half pieces of noodles and ends if your casserole dish fans outwards as the surface area grows with each layer).
- Spread the entire cottage cheese and spinach mixture over the third layer of lasagna noodles; top this with another layer of lasagna noodles.
- Cover the last layer of lasagna noodles with 1 1/2 cup of meat sauce, sparsely distributed over the noodles (if you have enough room, make one more layer of noodles and a final layer of meat sauce).
- The meat sauce will be the top of the lasagna; cover that with generous slices of mozzarella cheese.
Ready to Freeze:
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap; date and label; freeze for future use.
- Bake frozen in 350 degree oven for 2 to 2 1/2 hours until bubbly and cheese on top just starts to brown (cover with tented foil while still baking, to avoid over browning, if necessary).
Ready to Bake:
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes until bubbly and cheese on top just starts to brown (cover with tented foil while still baking, to avoid over browning, if necessary).
If you have a lot left over, portion into individual pieces, wrap well, label, date and freeze and these make great individual lunches.