CINCO DE MAYO SHREDDED CHICKEN
F&L Market has boneless, skinless chicken breast for $1.59. This versatile recipe works great in street tacos, burritos, taco salads, and nachos. Make it up, dress it up and enjoy!
- 2 pounds chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup mild salsa (medium if you like spicy)
- 3-4 tablespoons brown sugar **
- 1 4 oz. can mild diced green chilies
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tsp EACH ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder,
- 1/2 tsp EACH smoked paprika, dry oregano, pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle chili pepper (optional for more heat)
- Hot sauce to taste ( I prefer the Chulula Green Pepper sauce. Delicious!)
- Rub chicken breasts with oil and place in the bottom of your slow cooker. Add all of the remaining ingredients except for the hot sauce. Cook on high for 2-4 hours or on low for 6-7 hours or until chicken is tender enough to shred.
- Remove chicken to a cutting board, and let rest 5 minutes before shredding (there will be liquid remaining). Return shredded chicken and let cook on low for an additional 20 minutes to absorb some of the liquid/juices. Drain all excess liquid. Taste and add hot sauce to taste if desired.