F & L Market has Value Pack Chicken Breast for .99 a pound. This recipe makes an entree so delicious it would make the perfect dinner for company too!
4 split chicken breasts with bones and skin on
½ teaspoon pepper
salt to taste
cooked white or brown rice (approx. 2 cups)
½ cup dry white wine
8 oz white mushrooms chopped and sautéed in butter
¼ cup diced tomato
¼ cup grated Mozzarella cheese
1 Tablespoon basil
1 tablespoon granulated garlic ( not garlic salt please)
1 tablespoon cyan pepper (or to taste, optional)
1 cup breadcrumbs any style
½ stick of butter, melted
1. Using a very sharp knife, cut a pocket in the breast on the thick side. Don’t cut all the way through.
2. Season the chicken with the pepper and salt. Set aside.
3. In a mixing bowl, combine the cooled mushrooms, ½ the garlic, rice, tomatoes, Mozzarella cheese, and basil. Toss all of the ingredients until well blended.
4. Spoon an even amount of the rice mixture into each pocket of each chicken breast. Secure with toothpicks if necessary.
5. In a skillet heat enough oil to coat the bottom of the pan skin side down. Brown the chicken skin until golden brown.
6. Remove from the skillet and place in the bottom of a baking dish skin side up. Combine the bread crumbs and melted butter and and remaining garlic. Sprinkle over each chicken breast. Add wine to the baking dish, pour it along the side not over the chicken. Cover lightly with foil and bake at 350º F for 25 minutes. Remove foil, and bake for another 30 minutes or until the internal temperature is 165 degrees. Remove from the oven recover loosely with the foil and allow to rest for at least 10 minutes.
7. Serve with your favorite veggie, potatoes and some good bread.