F & L Market has split chicken breast for .99 a pound. Use it to make this delicious dish that’s even better than eating out!
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, (681g) cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cornstarch, (6g) divided
- 5 tablespoons soy sauce , (75ml) divided
- 5 teaspoons sesame oil, (10ml) divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons water, (45ml)
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar, (45ml)
- 3 tablespoons honey, (45ml)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, (30ml)
- 1 cup diced white onion, (115g) 3/4-inch dice
- 2 cups diced bell pepper, (262g) red and green, 3/4-inch dice
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic, (10g)
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger, (9g)
- 8 pieces dried red chilies, cut in half and seeds removed
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts, (22g)
- 1 tablespoon thinly sliced green onions, (1g)
- Add diced chicken, 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch, 2 tablespoons soy sauce, 2 teaspoons sesame oil, and black pepper to a medium-sized bowl, mix to combine. Allow chicken to marinate while preparing the other ingredients.
- To make the sauce, whisk together 3 tablespoons water, 3 tablespoons soy sauce, 3 tablespoons rice vinegar, 3 tablespoons honey, and 1 tablespoon sesame oil in a medium-sized bowl.
- Make a cornstarch slurry by whisking together 1 teaspoon cornstarch and 2 teaspoons water.
- Heat a wok or large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add vegetable oil, once the oil is hot add the marinated chicken in a single layer in the pan.
- Allow chicken to cook without moving for 2 minutes. Stir the chicken and cook for 2 minutes. Transfer chicken to a clean bowl.
- Turn heat down to medium and add the onions, stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the bell peppers and stir-fry for 1 minute.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and chili peppers, and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the chicken back to the pan. Add the sauce to the pan and allow to heat and bubble, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Mix the cornstarch slurry and then gradually add to the pan, stirring to combine. Stir and cook until the sauce is thickened, 1 minute.
- Garnish kung pao chicken peanuts and green onions.