Museum Is Displaying Dunbar School’s History

Named for the African American poet, Paul Laurence Dunbar, Dunbar High School played a key role in Lynchburg’s African American community for almost 50 years. The school opened in 1923 in response to the City’s need for a new black high school, and the last senior class graduated in 1970 with the desegregation of Lynchburg City Schools. Since 1971, the school has served middle school students and today is the Paul Laurence Dunbar Middle School for Innovation. Lynchburg Museum on Court Street will display a collection of photographs and other memorabilia this weekend. The exhibit begins this afternoon and will be open free of charge from 5:00 p.m. until 8 this evening –for more information visit: www.lynchburgva.gov

Test