Y Members Will Enjoy New Digs In The Downtown Location

YMCA has completed its renovations. For nearly 160 years, the Y has been a part of Lynchburg’s history; moving from location to location until making the building on Church Street home. The property was purchased in 1950. Fundraising for construction lasted until 1955 and the building was completed in 1956. There have been two other renovations done since then—in the 1990s and again in 2002. The main feature with this renovation is a new group fitness room. The entire project, which also includes makeovers of the men’s and women’s locker rooms, began in September. The YMCA of Central Virginia funded the $500,000 project through its capital improvements reserve. A ribbon cutting and grand opening was held on Saturday.

Test