Fire-ImageThurs., Sept. 25 7:44 a.m.

There is another fatality from last Friday’s fire at an unlicensed home-based day care. Lynchburg Fire Department Battalion Chief Jason Campbell tells WDBJ7 that a child still in the hospital died Wednesday night. Another child died on Sunday and at last check, a third child remained in critical condition at UVA Medical Center in Charlottesville. Earlier this week, Campbell said cooking started the fire. Officials originally believed a kitchen appliance caused it, but now say they do not believe the appliance had a short. The Lynchburg commonwealth’s attorney is waiting for results from a joint investigation by the fire and police departments. He then will decide if the operator of the day care will face charges. The woman did not have a state day care license or a city business license. Social services also is investigating.

Donations can be made to Penn-Williams’s family at and Curtis’s family at


Wed., Sept. 24 8:13 a.m.

Lynchburg fire officials now say that a fire that killed a child at an unlicensed home-based day care center was cooking-related, not caused by an electrical short. Initially officials said a food appliance started the fire. The News & Advance reports that fire and police continue their investigation. Social services also is investigating since she did not have a license with the state to run a day care or a city business license. Funeral services are scheduled Thursday for Kayden Curtis, the toddler who died Sunday from the Friday fire. At last word, two other children remain in critical condition at the UVA Medical Center.


Tue., Sept. 23 7:59 a.m.

Lynchburg fire, police and human services officials are all investigating Friday’s fire at an unlicensed day care center that took the life a Bedford County toddler. Two other young children remain in critical condition at UVA Medical Center. Seven children were inside the Ramsgate Lane home when the fire broke out Friday morning. Lynchburg Commonwealth’s Attorney Michael Doucette tells the News & Advance that there had been no charges filed as of Monday afternoon, but a final determination will depend on the outcome of a joint investigation.