State Police have identified the woman fatally shot by a Lynchburg Police officer in Monday’s early morning hours. Police say 54-year-old Pamela Webber came at Lynchburg officers armed with a knife before she was shot. Police had responded to the Triangle Place home for a suicidal woman call. State troopers will conduct further investigating before turning their findings over to the Lynchburg Commonwealth’s Attorney’s office.

From State Police:  The investigation continues into the officer-involved shooting in the City of Lynchburg on Nov. 6, 2017. At the request of the Lynchburg Police Chief, the Virginia State Police Bureau of Criminal Investigation’s Appomattox Field Office is investigating the incident that occurred at a residence in the 2900 block of Triangle Place.

On the evening of Nov. 5, Lynchburg Police responded to a 911 call for a suicidal female subject armed with a knife at the residence. Upon arriving at the scene, the female – identified as Pamela L. Webber, 54, of Lynchburg – barricaded herself inside a room. Lynchburg Police spent the rest of the night and into the early morning hours of Nov. 6 trying to negotiate Webber’s peaceful surrender. During the course of the negotiations, Webber exited the room armed with a knife and advanced on the officers. Despite their use of less-than-lethal tactics, she continued to advance on the officers and was shot. Webber died at the scene. Once the state police investigation is concluded, the findings will be turned over to the Commonwealth’s Attorney for review and adjudication.

(Continue reading for earlier versions of this story.)

Lynchburg Police say a police officer shot and killed a knife-wielding woman overnight as she advanced on them in a threatening manner. But a man identifying himself as the woman’s boyfriend says the official account is not accurate. Police say after officers responded to the Triangle Place home for a suicidal person call, the woman later emerged with a knife and came at them with it. At the scene today, Reporter Andre Whitehead says the boyfriend, who would identify himself only as “Jeff” disputes the police report:

11-06 Whitehead Voicer-WEB

So far, police have not released the names of any involved. State Police are now investigating the fatal shooting.

Lynchburg Police say a police officer fatally shot a knife-wielding woman overnight as she advanced on them in a threatening manner. It happened on the 29-hundred block of Triangle Place off Campbell Avenue. Police say it followed a call of suicidal person armed with a knife with another person inside in extreme danger. Several hours later, they say, the woman came at them at which point officers shot and killed her. So far, no names released. State Police are now investigating.

From Lynchburg Police: On November 5, 2017 at 10:35 p.m., the Lynchburg Department of Emergency Services received a call for a suicidal subject at a residence in the 2900 block of Triangle Place, Lynchburg. Information provided by the caller indicated an adult female subject was armed with a knife and had already harmed herself. The caller also said there was another individual inside the residence in extreme danger. Lynchburg Police and medics with the Lynchburg Fire Department immediately responded to the residence. Over the course of several hours, officers and trained negotiators attempted to provide assistance to the female and resolve the incident peacefully while she was barricaded in a room. At approximately 2:00 a.m. on November 6, 2017, the female came out of the room wielding a knife and advanced on the officers in a threatening manner. Officers repeatedly told the female to drop the knife but she refused to comply. Officers first utilized less-than-lethal force options, to include a Taser, but the woman continued to advance on the officers and she was subsequently shot.

On scene life-saving medical treatment was immediately started on the female, however she died at the scene. Her remains will be transported to the Office of the Medical Examiner in Roanoke for examination and autopsy. At this time, the Lynchburg Police Department has turned the investigation over to the Virginia State Police. Per Lynchburg Police Department policy, the involved officer has been placed on administrative leave with pay. No Lynchburg officers were injured during the course of the incident. No additional information will be released at this time and all inquiries for information will be directed to the Virginia State Police.